Official Player Websites Subscribe - Free Newsletter

Sports News First

Sydney fans rebel as Sky Blues thumped

By AAP .
8 February 2014 10:39PM EST

MELBOURNE Victory helped its under-pressure coach Kevin Muscat with a win over Central Coast on Saturday but Frank Farina's plight in charge of Sydney FC deteriorated.

Sydney coach Frank Farina had a drink thrown over him and disgruntled fans staged a mass walkout, as the slumping Sky Blues created an unwanted piece of club history on Saturday with a 3-0 A-League home loss to Adelaide.

It was the first time Sydney have suffered three straight home losses and the result enabled Adelaide to leapfrog them into fifth on the ladder and record just their second win in 10 away games.

First-half goals to Bruce Djite and Fabio Ferreira and a late strike from substitute Jeronimo Neumann sealed the points for surging Adelaide, who have lost just one of their past nine games.

Sydney, who have won only one of their past eight, could fall to as low as eighth, depending on Sunday's results.

A big banner with the wording "We want Farina gone" was raised in The Cove, Sydney's main supporter area, before the game and the atmosphere soured even once on-field action commenced.

The two goals added to the tension and a fan was escorted out by security officials after drenching Farina with a drink.

Fans started leaving after 20 minutes and much of the Cove area emptied at halftime with disenchanted supporters taking their protests outside the stadium.

Adelaide dominated possession early, though Sydney squandered the first good chance with Hagi Gligor blazing over from close range.

Djite threaded a shot into the net in the 12th minute following good lead-up work from Isias and Ferreira.

Adelaide doubled their lead when Ferreira latched onto a downfield clearance by Michael Zullo from a Sydney corner and outmuscled Gligor and lashed the ball into the net.

Marcelo Carrusca also smashed a shot against the post as Adelaide dominated against a shellshocked and despondent home team.

Sydney created a couple of chances as Branko Despotovic had a strong shot pushed away by Eugene Galekovic and Alessandro Del Piero curled a free-kick wide.

Sydney were far more competitive after the break, creating several chances as Adelaide appeared content with what they had.

Del Piero put a free-kick just over and had a cheeky chip well taken by Galekovic, while Despotovic missed a couple of good chances and Corey Gameiro also blasted over.

Adelaide swelled their lead when Jeronimo tapped in from close range.

Earlier, a double from James Troisi helped the plight of under-pressure coach Kevin Muscat and helped Melbourne Victory to a much-needed 3-1 win over Central Coast Mariners.

Troisi netted in each half and Archie Thompson's 50th-minute goal was enough for the Victory to come from behind at Central Coast Stadium for their first win outside Melbourne this season.

The result ended a dreadful recent run of form for the Victory who had managed just one win in their past six matches, conceding 17 goals in the process.

"It was a vital three points for us," said Muscat. "We showed good character but, not only that, we played some decent football and created some good chances.

"From my perspective, it was important to get a win and a vital three points for us to start breeding that confidence."

The result lifts Melbourne level with the Mariners in third place, though trailing on goal difference.

It could, however, have been very different for the home side who went ahead after just 11 minutes as Bernie Ibini scored from close range for his first goal since returning following a six-month stint in China.

The Mariners were denied a penalty claim early in the second half with Pablo Contreras clumsily bringing down Mile Sterjovski from behind. However referee Matthew Gillett deeming the offence to have occurred outside the penalty area, though television replays proved otherwise.

"It was a 100 per cent penalty - there is no grey area," said Central Coast coach Phil Moss.

"The foul was definitely inside the box so that is disappointing.

"The goal conceded right on halftime took the wind out of sails."

After spurning several opportunities in the opening half, the Victory finally found their goalscoring touch with three goals in a 15-minute spell either side of the break.

Troisi tapped home a rebound with virtually the last kick of the first half, and doubled his tally on the hour mark rounding out a sharp passing move by converting with a near-post finish for the goal of the match.

Thompson put the Victory in the lead for the first time five minutes after halftime by sweeping home Adam Traore's perfectly delivered cross.

Melbourne Victory defender Adrian Leijer was taken to hospital with a suspected broken nose and possible concussion after suffering a nasty kick to the head late in the game.

Your view first

Add your comment... Comments (0)