Official Player Websites Subscribe - Free Newsletter

Sports News First

Heart stun Sydney, Glory-Victory draw

By AAP .
1 February 2014 12:32AM EST

MELBOURNE Heart has stunned Sydney FC with a 2-1 victory in the A-League on Friday night with Perth Glory and Melbourne Victory played out a 1-1 draw.

Dodgy keeping and contentious refereeing could not deny Melbourne Heart, winning their first home game under new ownership 2-1 on against Sydney FC.

Orlando Engelaar's red card after half an hour was quickly followed by Corey Gameiro's opener, turning an open contest temporarily into a closed shop.

But Heart came out from the halftime break like a team possessed, fashioning a madcap equaliser through Jonatan Germano after 52 minutes and sealing the win through substitute David Williams' breakaway.

In front of a delegation from Manchester City, Heart set their stocks out to attack, playing with just three in defence and another in Alessandro Del Piero's pocket.

Aziz Behich was enjoying a more attacking role and, from a Sydney corner on 15 minutes, dribbled the length of the pitch, laying the ball off for Harry Kewell only to strike the return pass just wide.

A magic Del Piero stepover then gave Milos Dimitrijevic space to clip the bar with Andrew Redmayne well beaten.

But the match was transformed on 33 minutes when Hagi Gligor's neat turn led Engelaar to plant a full-blooded foot on his shin at low pace.

Referee Jarred Gillett wasted no time dismissing Engelaar when a yellow might have sufficed, though the giant Dutchman showed a commitment to the robust tackle.

With the crowd barely finished booing the red card, Gameiro had the ball in the net five minutes later.

Ali Abbas' cross took a deflection off Jason Hoffman's back to head straight to Redmayne, and the keeper could only palm the ball to a delighted Gameiro.

Gillett continued to frustrate Heart after the break when a Harry Kewell shot was clearly blocked by Del Piero's hands without a penalty awarded.

Heart though were not to be denied and had their reward shortly after.

Vedran Janjetovic made a hash of an attempted catch from Matthew Jurman's clearance off the line, with Ramsay and Germano swamping him for the Argentine to strike home.

Heart had regained the ascendancy and dominated the match for the next 20 minutes, making the Sky Blues look a man down rather than themselves.

While Williams' free-kick on the edge of the box was saved with five minutes remaining, he outran and outsmarted two Sky Blues defenders in the dying minutes to steal victory.

Heart coach John van 't Schip paid tribute to the match-winning effort, where Williams gathered the ball in his own half before curling in at the back post.

"Every player needs a good moment and, for David, it was a fantastic moment," he said.

Both coaches disagreed with the decision to send off Engelaar, though both said it didn't affect the game's result.

Sydney FC boss Frank Farina - whose side win 5-0 in Melbourne just six days earlier - agreed his team should have closed the game down with a goal and a one-man advantage.

"Should have, without doubt. It was like we played with 10 men the second half," he said.

"Both the goals were very bad mistakes from us and we were punished."

And then, Perth Glory and Melbourne Victory have battled out a 1-1 draw in their clash at nib Stadium.

Perth Glory marquee William Gallas suffered yet another injury scare in Friday night's 1-1 A-League draw with Melbourne Victory at nib Stadium.

Gallas, who missed seven games earlier in the season due to a calf injury, was subbed off in the 84th minute after injuring his left leg in a heavy fall.

The former Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham defender limped as he slowly made his way to the bench, but he didn't seem overly concerned with the injury.

Although Victory managed to end their run of consecutive 5-0 defeats, they still appeared to be in a form slump during the 1-1 stalemate.

A 36th-minute penalty to Gui Finkler got the Victory off to a good start, but Perth were back on level terms in the 50th minute when new recruit Darvydas Sernas scored with just his second touch in the A-League.

Lithuanian international Sernas was meant to come on straight after half-time, but his introduction was delayed by 105 seconds after officials told him to change his socks.

Then another 105 seconds later, he curled home a wonder goal from outside the box to send the 10,151 fans into raptures.

Sernas, who only received his international clearance to play hours before kick-off, lifted his shirt after scoring the goal to reveal a picture of a baby.

Glory dominated play for much of the second half, but Victory striker Andrew Nabbout had two golden chances to snatch all three points.

Nabbout was left looking for a hole to hide in when he fired way wide of the target in the 79th minute with just the goalkeeper to beat.

Then two minutes later, his weak attempt at goal was easily saved by Danny Vukovic.

Glory also had their chances late in the game, but they couldn't produce the final touch.

The result left Victory in fourth spot and Glory in seventh.

In a scrappy opening half, new Victory signing Tom Rogic's class stood out as both sides struggled to create many clear-cut opportunities.

Rogic went close to opening the scoring in the 34th minute when his 26-yard effort struck the crossbar.

But the Victory were on the board two minutes later when Glory defender Jack Clisby gave away a penalty after grabbing Archie Thompson's shirt and pulling the striker to ground.

Glory interim coach Kenny Lowe clearly wasn't happy with some decisions that went against his team in the first half, and approached referee Kris Griffiths-Jones at half-time to air his frustrations.

Rogic was subbed off in the 74th minute.

Your view first

Add your comment... Comments (0)