Official Player Websites Subscribe - Free Newsletter

Sports News First

Cairns, Vincent in NZ match fixing probe

By AAP .
6 December 2013 02:12AM EST

FORMER New Zealander allrounder Chris Cairns says he is "shocked and dismayed" to be linked to an International Cricket Council investigation into match-fixing.

The 43-year-old released a statement on Thursday denying any knowledge of the probe after he was reported to be one of three former New Zealand representatives to come under scrutiny.

"No representative of the ICC, New Zealand Cricket or the New Zealand Players' Association has contacted me in regard to any connection by me to an investigation into alleged fixing.

"I have no information, and was therefore shocked and dismayed to discover the speculation in today's media," he said.

Cairns pointed out that a High Court judge in England in 2012 ruled in his favour in a libel trial against Lalit Modi after the former Indian Premier League commissioner accused him on Twitter of match-fixing.

Earlier on Thursday former Black Cap Lou Vincent confirmed he is co-operating with an International Cricket Council anti-corruption investigation.

"I wish to let everyone know that I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC Anti-Corruption investigation that has been made public today," he said in a statement.

"This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment," the 35-year-old said.

He said he would talk publicly when he was able to, but asked for privacy for him and his family in the meantime.

The third player has yet to come forward.

Prime Minister John Key said if the allegations against the former New Zealand players proved to be correct, it would be "a very, very serious matter".

"New Zealanders expect sport to be played fairly," he said.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said he knew the identity of the players concerned, but didn't name them.

"This is an investigation that is being run by the ICC and I simply can't comment any further," he told reporters in Dunedin.

White added: "We are shocked and surprised by the allegations.

"We support the ICC's investigation as corruption has no place in our sport."

White said NZC had been aware of the investigation for several months.

"No current New Zealand players are being investigated," he said.

"No games played in New Zealand are being investigated and no matches under New Zealand Cricket jurisdiction are being investigated."

The ICC says no players have been charged with any offence but a probe is ongoing into "fixing activity" and related matters.

Your view first

Add your comment... Comments (0)