Cricket Australia said in a statement on Monday that three umpires in a match must agree on a suspect delivery, but did not say in which game Botha had been reported.
The Redbacks have played one domestic one-day cup match this season, a six-wicket loss to Victoria on Friday in which the 31-year-old offspinner finished with 0-39 off nine overs.
"Under CA's Doubtful Bowling Action Procedure, a bowler must undergo testing after a single mention for a suspected illegal bowling action in an interstate season," Cricket Australia said in a statement.
"CA's policy requires cited bowlers to undergo testing within 14 days of being notified."
The South African international allrounder made his Test debut against Australia at the SCG in January 2006, was reported for a suspect action and and was subsequently banned from bowling by the ICC.
He was cleared later that year but, following a one-dayer against Australia in Port Elizabeth in 2009, Botha was reported once again and it was ruled that his action while bowling the doosra was illegal and he was banned from bowling it.
Botha has made five Test appearances and played 75 limited-overs internationals for South Africa.
The South Australia Cricket Association (SACA) said it would back Botha, who is eligible to play and bowl during the 14-day period.
"We acknowledge that there is a process to be undertaken and the SACA will support Johan and work with him though this process," said SACA's director of cricket Jamie Cox.
"Johan will continue to lead our team in this week's Ryobi one-day cup fixtures."
South Australia have five one-day matches scheduled over the next 15 days in Sydney.